Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Negative effects of....

GUM!
Believe it or not... this was me in July 2007

Now unfortunately, no more bubble gum, or stride for me! I MUST say no!
and now i'll tell you why.


After a visit at my dentist yesterday.... I was told i'm no longer allowed to chew gum. My one tooth has been hurting me for like a week straight and well my teeth were healthy and perfectly fine. So why did my teeth hurt? Well my dentist told me that it most definitley could be because of gum. I LOVE gum, and i chew it like a maniac. If only you all saw how i stock up on gum so i don't run out.... and all of that gum I now have to give away because my dentist told me to forget gum ever even existed. I think i'll switch to like tic tacs or something now... something minty i can chew on that's now gum.

The reason gum is so bad for you is because our bodies, well our teeth were only designed to chew food, 3 meals a day for about 15-20 minutes. Any more than that (like me where i chew gum all day long), you're ruining the tooth enamel on your teeth.

Now let's look at some more negative effects of chewing gum:
  1. Chewing gum causes unnecessary wear and tear of the cartilage that acts as a shock absorber in your jaw joints. Once damaged, this area can create pain and discomfort for a lifetime.
  2. You use 8 diff. facial muscles to chew. Unnecessary chewing can create chronic tightness in two of these muscles, located close to your temples. This can put pressure on the nerves that supply this area of your head, contributing to chronic, intermittent headaches.
  3. You have 6 salivary glands located throughout your mouth that are stimulated to produce and release saliva whenever you chew. Producing a steady stream of saliva chewing gum is a waste of energy and resources that could otherwise be used for essential metabolic activities.
  4. Most chewing gum is sweetened with aspartame. Short and long term use of aspartame has been closely linked with cancer, diabetes, neurological disorders, and birth defects.
  5. If your gum is not sweetened with aspartame, it is prob. sweetened by sugar. Sugar is most likely the single greatest dietary cause of chronic health problems like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and emotional disorders.
There are also other negative effects of chewing gum as well, that was just to name a few.
Don't get me wrong there are some positive effects like the elimination of bad breath, supposedly helping you focus, making you less hungry, and so on.... but do those positive effects outweigh the lifetime negative effects? I THINK NOT!

Although I'm a bit upset about having to forget about the existence of gum because it is literally like my life.... it's something i have to do for the sake of my health and my beautiful teeth. Anyone with me?

Goodbye gum, i shall miss you dearly,
xoxo, Lina


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...